Re(2): SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #124

linneah at erols.com linneah at erols.com
Tue May 20 18:11:46 PDT 1997

Sue Wensel wrote:

> > Greetings,
> <snip>
> >
> > 2. Dextrose is used in modern sausage-making because it tastes less sweet
> > than other sugars.  To be period don't use refined sugars.  Use a touch of
> > honey or leave it out entirely.
>
> Given that cane sugar is period, what sugar-alternate can we use instead of
> using honey?  Could we use brown sugar instead?
>
> While honey is a popular SCA-alternate for sugar in recipes, I am beginning to
> doubt how much it really was used in period recipes.  Can anyone shed some
> light on this?
>
> <snip>
> > Thank you,
> >
> > Michael Farrell
>
> Derdriu

Given the abundance of period artwork depicting bee hives and bee keepers, I
think that is is clear that honey was used.  Sugar did not come into common use
until well after the crusaders brought it back from the East.  Honey also goes
clear back into Egyptian and Roman times as a sweetener.

I'm sure someone has several recipies to back this up.

Linneah