SC - Chicken usage

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu May 22 06:58:14 PDT 1997

Michael F. Gunter wrote:

> Another interesting, although not really period, observation is that from Colonial
> times up through the 1940's chicken was considered a rather expensive luxury.
> That is one reason for the traditional chicken dinner on Sunday.  Items like
> lobster, steak, salmon (depending upon the region you are from) were more common,
> poorer fare.

This issue has always fascinated me. I especially like the laws that
used to be on the books in Pennsylvania, if I remember correctly,
stating that salmon could be served to the servants no more than twice a
week, or whatever the number was. What makes it especially interesting
that the use of the word "salmon" was actually a reference to either
walleye or shad, depending on where in Pennsylvania you were. In other
places salmon was really striped bass...

> The "chicken in every pot" speech was really talking about the fact that all
> households would have at least one good meal a week.

Again, interesting! Am I right in thinking this is generally attributed
to Herbert Hoover, or was it someone even earlier? Whoever it was, he
was probably quoting, knowingly or unknowingly, Henri IV of France, who
is believed to be the originator of that line, only shortly post-period.

Adamantius