SC - Honey

L Herr-Gelatt and J R Gelatt liontamr at postoffice.ptd.net
Mon May 26 06:04:50 PDT 1997

>4.  Pollen is the food for the brood.  The workers gather it and place it
>where they will.  Most of it goes where it is needed(near the brood).  But,
>the workers will put it wherever they feel they should.  So, even with a
>queen excluder in place you will find pollen stored in the same comb as
>honey.  It is unavoidable.  It can be bitter, but personally I don't mind a
>little of it in there.
>
>Thank you for indulging me,
>>
>Michael Farrell

If pollen is food for the brood, (sorry to sound stupid here but I really
don't know) WHY DO BEES MAKE HONEY? For winter food?

I am reminded of the cartoon in yesterday's Sunday Funnies where a father
explains to his little girl that bees aren't gross bugs. And Honey is
basically bee barf, having been partially digested and then regurgitated for
storage in the comb.

And now that you're all totally grossed out, I have done my job ;^D

Aoife

PS Am I the only one unsurprised to find that you can find SCA Cooks in Eden?