SC - Re: onion soup--now lettuce soup

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sat Nov 1 07:48:23 PST 1997

  Italians have made chicken soup using escarole for a very long time,
>found a recipe once that claimed to be period, but I didn't have time
>investigate it further, and by mistake didn't even document where I
>found
>the recipe.

My grandmother's "Wedding Soup"! I think every Italian family has their
own variation of this. My grandmother insisted it was passed down in her
family for hundreds of years, but Italian grandmothers are known to
exaggerate occasionally. :-)

> There has always been a debate in my family whether or not to cut the
>escarole into squares or to put whole leaves in the soup, but what was
>never debated was when to put it in the soup.  The last minute or two
>right
>before it was served.  Otherwise the escarole lost all of its crunch
>and
>was soggy and unappetizing looking, as well as didn't feel right on
>the
>palate.

My grandmother always put it in whole right away. Yes, it got soggy and
unappetizing hardly covers what it looks like. My husband, non-Italian,
loves the stuff. I gag when I look at it!

>  I have to admit I never thought of using lettuce.  Maybe there is a
>use
>for iceberg lettuce after all.
>
>	Angeline di Aquila, Dominion of Myrkfaelinn

BTW, Grandma changed her recipe depending on which holiday she was making
it for, how rich she felt that day, and how much she had in the house.
She always put chicken, little meatballs and escarole, but I saw her make
it with ham and fish along with the other stuff on more than one
occasion.

Julleran