Re- SC - candied ginger

Mark Harris mark_harris at risc.sps.mot.com
Sat Nov 1 21:54:08 PST 1997

..."E une viaunde ke est apele kuskenole. Festes un past des oefs e pus
pernez figes e resins e peires e poumes e pus dates e alemandes; batez e
metez bon pudre dedenz e de bons especes; e karemme festes vostre past de
alemandes; e festes vostre past rouler sur une table e pus copez les en
plusurs parties e de la longure de une paume e demy paume e de la leur de
treis deis e pus oignez le past tut de une partie; pus metez la fassure
dedenz chescune kake sa porcion e pus plier ensemble come sel signe est
fet:*: e pus boiller en bel ewe; u pus roster sur gerdil &cetera"...

MS B.L. Add 32085 ff 119r-119v Ed Hieatt & (??? I don't have the front page)
in _Speculum_ v61 (1986) #4 pp859-882

* Imagine a diamond divided into 9 smaller diamonds by drawing two lines
across each way, OR a tic-tac-toe game with a box around it, standing on
a corner. you've got it.

These recipes are translated into Middle English in BL MS Add 46919,
about 30 - 50 years later. The translations are published in (or
were collated for) Curye on Inglisch.

Seems to me that this recipe makes a bunch of small ravioli sheets,
unless you are meant to fold along each  of the lines and produce a
layered effect in a rissole-type affair (Never heard of any other thing
like this - it is sort of like spinakoptia with the filling laid all the
way along the pastry before it is folded, in my imagination)

Just my 2c worth (According to Australian law, this must be rounded down
and may therefore be worthless)

Charles