SC - white drinks and other foods

Woeller D alaric05 at erols.com
Sun Nov 2 15:15:37 PST 1997

>..."E une viaunde ke est apele kuskenole. Festes un past des oefs e pus
>pernez figes e resins e peires e poumes e pus dates e alemandes; batez e
>metez bon pudre dedenz e de bons especes; e karemme festes vostre past de
>alemandes; e festes vostre past rouler sur une table e pus copez les en
>plusurs parties e de la longure de une paume e demy paume e de la leur de
>treis deis e pus oignez le past tut de une partie; pus metez la fassure
>dedenz chescune kake sa porcion e pus plier ensemble come sel signe est
>fet:*: e pus boiller en bel ewe; u pus roster sur gerdil &cetera"...
>
>MS B.L. Add 32085 ff 119r-119v Ed Hieatt & (??? I don't have the front page)
>in _Speculum_ v61 (1986) #4 pp859-882

<snip>

>Charles

Thank you for finding this!

Yes, this does settle the question, raised in jest, that 'hew' might mean
'hue'.

I'd just like to let you all know, FWIW and in case the info is of future
use to someone, that I *did* try coloring a small batch  of these yesterday
just for grins & to see what would happen - and it worked!

I rolled out fresh egg noodle dough, not too thin, into 2 large rectangles.
I brushed the *insides* of one with alkanet-dyed lard (alkanet is fat
soluble), and the other with a warm water/saffron mixture (water soluble),
being careful not to get close to the edges. (I wanted to compare whether
the solubility of the color had any effect on the end product.)

I then filled *half* of each 8x12 rectangle (again being careful not to get
close to the edges)  with a mixture of mashed apples & raisins & currants &
almonds & pale spices (about 1/2 cup filling per rectangle, though I could
easily have fit more in).  (The filling was white with dark spots, rather
than brown.) BTW, I deliberately made the blobs very big to put extra
stress on the dough.

I folded the unfilled half of the dough over the filled half, moistened the
edges, & crimped them shut. Each filled dough blob was lowered (in a wire
basket) into a pan of boiling water & cooked at a full boil for 15 minutes.
(A test strip of dough was thrown in the pot at the same time, so as to
make unnecessary the breaking the blobs to check for doneness.) They were
then taken up & blotted on a towel (still in the basket).  When cool enough
to handle, they were removed from the basket & roasted on a griddle until
browned on both sides.  They were then taken up & opened to discover that:
a) the filling did not leak;
b) neither color leaked out into the boiling liquid;
and c) the *fillings* absorbed the colors of the alkanet & saffron & were
absolutely beautiful!

Cindy/Sincgiefu