SC - venison

Charles McCN charlesn at sunrise.srl.rmit.edu.au
Sun Nov 2 21:35:13 PST 1997

To All on the List, a question:

As a child I helped my grandmother make a fruit drink that was called
"acid" I wonder if anyone else ever heard of it. It seems related to
the persian fruit drink syrups. . . It has a beautiful color,and
keeps for years ( i have some we made nearly fifty years ago that
is still wonerdful . . . The syrup was served diluted with water
and served over ice in th summer. . . supposed lt was promoted as
a "temperance " drink,

basic recipe :
take fresh fruit ( blackberries,plums, grapes - never heard of
trying it with apples or pears) crush it. Add sugar. Add TATARIC
ACID ( a fermentation product - I think it driver thr reaction
balance to produce less alcohol ) let ferment. It quits working with
lots of sugar left, and a little alcohhol. strain through cloth
into bottles,and keep in the dark. it is clear ,colored by the fruit.

Is anything like this period or is it a 19th C product ! I will dig
out the exact recipe if anyone is interested .

Thank you all,

              Joseph L. Tolbert,Jr

jlt6 at hotmail.com