Re- SC - Sugar Stuff! Was-

Mark Harris mark_harris at risc.sps.mot.com
Sun Nov 2 23:22:05 PST 1997

David/Cariadoc wrote that this must be the Anglo-Norman collection...

Yes. The reference was gleaned from David via the Web. It seemed taht,
since the editors had suggested the transmission/translation route, it
might be worth going to the supposed original. Of course, the problem is
that lots of people don't read 'Latin' (Actually, Anglo-Norman French.)

But it does indeed answer the Hew/Hue question -  the pun is
unrecognisable in French.

Also, here is Hieatt + Jones' Translation:

Here is a dish which is called kuskenole. Make pastry with eggs then take
figs raisins pears and apples and then dates and almonds; beat together
and add good mixed ground spice and whole spices. In Lent make yourt
pastry with almonds[ ie almond butter or cream]. Roll your pastry out on
a table and cut into several pieces, one and a half hands long and three
fingers in width then grease the pastry on one side then put the filling
in dividing it equally among the cakes then fold together as teh diagram
illustrates ***[presumably folding overthe pastry then crimping the edges
together as with ravioli]*** then boil in clean water the brown on a
griddle etc.

I am assuming the diagram is well-known by now.

Charles
(I missed the filling bit when writing before - I cook, and usually
write, from memory, since I feel that it is a more medieval technique,
althoguh I need to check every so often and see what I have started
adding of my own accord)