SC - Re: White, Dafair, Flour & Semolina

Robin Carroll-Mann harper at idt.net
Mon Nov 3 18:01:58 PST 1997

And it came to pass on  4 Nov 97, that Christina van Tets wrote:

> 4) Is there a (period) semolina pudding (cold) which uses dates,
> spices and rosewater?  I seem to be devising one but thought it not
> unlikely that a recipe already existed.

Does it have to be semolina?  There's a Spanish pudding-like recipe
called "Ginestada" which is made with rice flour and almond milk (or
goat milk).  When the mixture is half-cooked, add sugar, a little
saffron dissolved in rosewater, as well as pine nuts and quartered
(slivered) almonds and dates.  Cook well.  Egg yolks may be added
towards the end of cooking, but are not required.  I did not add any
when I tried this dish, which came out rather like an Indian "firni"
- -- sweet, pleasant, and a little bland.  The recipe says to sprinkle
the finished dish with sugar and cinnamon, but then, the "Libro de
Guisados" says to sprinkle nearly *everything* with sugar and/or
cinnamon, and de Nola comments in some other recipe that it can be
omitted, since food should be cooked according to your lord's taste.

The quantities listed for "five dishes" are: 2 ounces of rice flour,
one ounce sugar, almond milk from a pound and a half of almonds.
Amounts are not given for the other ingredients -- I opted for a
ginestada that was fairly thickly studded with dates and nuts.

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain of Tethba
Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom
mka Robin Carroll-Mann *** harper @ idt.net