SC - Margali's Distaste for Raspberries

DianaFiona@aol.com DianaFiona at aol.com
Tue Nov 4 08:36:26 PST 1997

<< ctually, Ras, you get cream, which will probably have soured without
 the benefit of the microbes that give dairy sour cream (and I know I
 used the term "dairy sour" cream specifically to make this distinction)
 its distinctive flavor. In other words, you get cream that is sour, but
 not sour cream. >>

I don't remember using the word "pasteurized" when I posted my tho'ts on sour
cream.I can alomost accept your statement about the need for the appropriate
bacteria as an innoculant. However, those of us who have the benefits of being
raised on a farm have the bacteria needed for making fermented milk products
flosting around in great abundance thus making it easier to produce assorted
porducts of the type in question without the need to purchase inoculants.

Granted that the artifficially sterile invironment of the vast majority of
modern homes reduces the chances for "good" bacteria to be floating around to
almost nil, my post may not be the way to go for the majority of the list.

Rather than just soured cream, I would suggest a better term for the counter
top product which UNPASTERIZED, RAW, UNHOMOGINIZED straight from the cow milk
might be "creme freche".

I might also add that modern social brainwashing with regards to certain foods
being processed at room temperatures does not necessarily make for a
"YECCCCH!!!! GROSSSSSS!!!" end product. After 44 yrs. of producing assorted
foods as the majority of people did up until the advent of electricity, I can
assure that neither I nor anyone else has been sickened by the result of my
labors.

Now, I concede that you can make the process occur a little faster and reduce
the risk of "bad" organisms if you introduce a bit of inoculate from a past
batch or from a sterile packet but I cannot agree that this is a necessity
under all conditions. My strawberry wine,for instance, is a taste treat but I
cannot produce it unless the berries are started in a single corner of my
basement where the yeasts that produce the wine live naturally. If I try to
reproduce it in other spots it always sours instead of producing wine.

Ras