SC - Ropy?

DianaFiona@aol.com DianaFiona at aol.com
Tue Nov 4 11:00:03 PST 1997

><< never gets ropy >>
>
>What is it that makes "ropey" a bad characteristic of wine? It was my
>understanding that this was caused by glycrin formation during the maleolactic
>stage of wine making. Does this not cause the finished product to have a
>smoother finish? If this roping effect (I assume you mean the "legs" percieved
>on the glass when tasting) preventable? And, if so, how;  and, at what stage
>of the fermentation process can it best be controled? Lastly, is not visible
>glcyrin and sign of higher alcohol content?
>
>Inquiring minds need to know.......
>
>(Sorry, Stefan....:-))
>
>Ras

Hello!

"Rope~~a disease of wine caused by a bacterial infection in the yeast which
causes the liquid to appear thick and ropy. To correct this, beat the wine
or shake it vigorously and then add campden tablets...  "
(From "A Sip Through Time", p. 260.)(See also Tritton's Better Wine & Beer
Making for Beginners, 1965, pp. 124-125.)

HTH,
Cindy Renfrow
renfrow at skylands.net
http://www.alcasoft.com/renfrow/