SC - oop humor

margali margali at 99main.com
Sat Nov 8 08:41:42 PST 1997

At 09
>Date: Fri, 7 Nov 1997 18:19:25 -0500 (EST)
>From: DianaFiona at aol.com
>Subject: Re: SC - Re: candied ginger)

><<
> I don't know specifically about comfits, but the recipe for candied peel
> says spread them out to dry. Also, rolling them in sugar keeps them from
> sticking, not make them stick together. I always roll my peel in sugar if
> I'm in a hurry or it's really humid. I would imagine it would work the
> same way for candied seeds. Roll them in sugar, spread them on cookie
> sheets and let them dry, turning with a spatula occassionally to keep
> them from sticking to the pan. Try putting them in the oven after you
> turn it off from baking something. You don't want to bake them, but the
> residual heat will help them dry out.
>
>  >>
>     Sure, that's fine for something as large as citrus peels, but the seeds
>are relatively tiny, so separating them one by one would be a major task! I'm
>afraid of ending up with the "seed brittle" someone mentioned........ ;-)

It seems to me that what is needed here is a tool to help you keep the seeds
seperate while handling them. What I have in mind is a piece of pierced tin
or aluminum, (pierced with a tiny nail, a great many times, with the holes
very close together). Use it with the prongs facing up. Syrup will drain out
the holes, the seeds will stay seperated by the prongs, and you can
repeatedly ladel the suckers with syrup without losing all of them through
the holes. You'd end up with "bundles" of comfits, but that may be easier
when doing things in bulk.

Alternatively (and this was my first idea), a clean board hammered through
with hundreds of non-galvanized nails set very close together might work.
Sift the seeds over the nails, and then ladle on the syrup. Drain. Dump out
to let dry. Sift over again, ladle syrup......

Just a thought. The brain is in overdrive this a.m.

Aoife