SC - Peppers-Info on

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Sat Nov 8 14:48:12 PST 1997

Lady Meliora,
I'm happy to help.

To Pickle Cloue Gillyflowrs Cowslips Burrage & Marrigoulds
Clip your flowers clean from ye whites & cover them over in white wine
vinegar, sweetned with sugar, & shake ye glasses you put them in often,
& when you discover your pickle to shrink, add more to it.

Hess notes that these flowers brought a sour-sweet fillip (?) to the
winter table when pickled.

Anoter Way For Keeping of Flowers Which Is Accounted Better Then ye
First
Take yr flowers & shread them a little, then take about halfe a pound of
lofe sugar, & beat it small & put it in a pewter dish with a little
water. boyle it up to a candy height, then put in yr flowers, giveing of
them a stir together. when they are cold, put your flowers into papers
made into bagtgs, & hang them neer ye fire. when you use them, put to ym
a little vinnegar, & soe serve them up.

Hess counsels that not all pewter is able to withstand direct heat so
don't be tempted.

Both these are from the Booke of Cookery, page 171, recipes 166 & 167.

The Booke of Sweetmeats has a description of candy height:

To Know When Your Sugar is at Candy Height
When yr sugar is at a candy height, which is the second height it comes
to, it will draw between your fingers in great flakes like bird lime,
and then it is at a just height eyther to candy or for any other things.

Hess comments that bird lime is a viscous sticky substance prepared from
the bark of holly and used to catch small birds.  In Old English, she
further states, it meant any adhesive, but now it is only poetic (OED).
She also comments that the temperature of this syrup is 220 degrees F.

Recipe from Booke of Sweetmeats, page 227, recipe 5.

Hope this helps.  Good luck.  Let me know how this turns out.  Our
flowers are long gone and currently sleeping under a blanket of snow.
I'm envious that you have a splash of color in November.

Lady Clare