SC - re: jameson's heresy

kat kat at kagan.com
Wed Nov 12 18:48:00 PST 1997

Charles McCN wrote:

> > Now, if the oats and leeks have no trace of bitterness, you may find
> > that some might enjoy a slight zing to the soup. I find a dash of
> > Jameson's (preferably the 15-year old) is just the thing.
>
> It all seemed pretty reasonable until I got to this bit. What a terrible
> thing to do to a perfectly good whisky!!!

Not at all, assuming you've enough to both add a bit to your soup and
drink the rest. Adding cheap stuff would be an insult to a perfectly
fine soup, and it is, after all, optional. I suggest knocking it after
having direct personal experience ;  ) Do you have similar objections
to, say, champagne truffles? Basically the options as I see it are to
add good stuff, if you can, or add nothing at all. The soup, with good
stuff added, tastes better than the soup without it, and I wouldn't be
willing to add to soup something I wouldn't be willing to drink. That
lets out most blends (including most of the 12-y.o. Irish whiskeys),
anyway. Both the 12 year-old Bushmill's and Jameson's that are commonly
available in the USA are blends of real whisky and neutral grain
spirits, owing more to the process of making Johnny Walker Red than any
honest pot-stilling. Or, to put it another way, "Phooey!"

> Charles (Who works at the Dan O Connell Hotel, where we don't serve
> 12-y-o mixed with anything)

There we agree. I like a bit of soda in a separate glass. Ice in the
soda is okay, but there must be two separate layers of glass between the
ice and the whisky. If they mix in your stomach, that's their business
;  )

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com