SC - Jameson's heresy :)

James and/or Nancy Gilly KatieMorag at worldnet.att.net
Wed Nov 12 19:21:31 PST 1997

kat wrote:

> Interesting, considering that (last time I checked) Jameson's was made in the Republic and Bushmill's somewhere in Co. Antrim.  Unless I got them confused somewhere...

Actually, now that I think more about it, you could be right. I may have
gotten them confused. It does seem to be true, though, that one is the
traditional beverage of choice for Catholics in the South, and the other
the Protestants in the North.

> guess I'm just gonna have to go to Spaceway and buy a bottle of each, and have a good old-fashioned taste test...  <G>

To me, all other things being equal, such as age, and single-malt vs.
blend status, Jameson's tastes more of whisky and less like rocket fuel.

> > but that's okay, since Laphroaig, from across the water,
> > kicks butt on either of them!)
>
> Whoooo... that stuff is DEFINITELY not for the faint-hearted!  (Didn't Steven Brust once describe Laphroaig as "bottled peat-bog?")

Rumor on this list has it that Laphroaig has an interesting effect, when
consumed in large doses, on baby Cooking Laurels. That is, junior
members of the Order so named for their Cookery skills, not necessarily
exclusively devoted to the cooking of babies. I don't believe that it
has any unusual effect on new Laurels, and I can prove it: I was at a
party in July, at an event where a Cooking Laurel was made, and he
consumed quite a bit of Laphroaig. The general consensus was that he was
the same as always, only more so. He seemed quite rational, to me. And I
never actually called my Vicereine a wuss... .

> Great stuff, though, once you've acquired the taste...

Luckily, I enjoy the taste of a side of bacon having crawled into a
bottle of whisky and died of cirrhosis. Seriously, though, it clearly
does taste of the process whereby it is made. Malt and peat smoke.
Unfortunately, many other whiskys also taste of the chem lab where
_they_ were made.

> p.s.  Adamantius, I agree with you on not adding something to a soup/sauce that I wouldn't drink... the only occasion on which I differ is when marinating meat.  In that case I usually go for the $2.99/gallon stuff.  Cheaper than vinegar and has the same effect...  <g>

And adds new meaning to the expression, "he/she is pickled!", too! ;  )

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com