SC - new to the list

Gerard Heusden van StagTS1MRS at dsm-andeno.nl
Thu Nov 13 01:58:43 PST 1997

Greetings:

I have just subscribed, and while dutifully reading through the standard
information, I noted a request for a brief introduction from newcomers. I'm
not known for briefness in my correspondences, but I'll try:

I have been in the Society since AS XIII, residing all this while in the
farthest north point of West Kingdom: Fairbanks, Alaska. One of my major
interests has always been food. We have few period sources locally, and
trying to find out what's good and how to get it affordably has always been
a problem. I hope some of these problems will be aided by (mostly) lurking
on this list.

Our group is well-known for its cooking, and we have a major feast every
year at Michaelmass where we explore a country's cuisine. Mostly, we
scavange every cookbook we can find and omit as many nonperiod foodstuffs
as we are aware of. And then usually traditional foods/dishes/desserts will
appear. It's not going directly to a medieval source, but it's better than
nothing. In a group with constant student and military turnover, we have a
lot of newcomers that learn a lot even with that style of feasting.

I've always wanted to brew cordials and liqueurs, but time and money have
kept me from it. But I'm getting closer by the month to succumbing,
especially since my favorite local brewers moved away and if I want to
drink it, it looks like I'll have to make it!

I haven't tackled any archives yet: is there a FAQ on recommended books on
cooking and brewing?

I look forward to our conversations.

Morgana yr Oerfa

Morgana yr Oerfa, Baroness      *     Sharron Albert
Winter's Gate/Oertha/West       *     salbert at polarnet.com
Per saltire gules and sable,    *     Babylon 5/science fiction
in pale two mullets and         *     (astrology/tarot)
in fess an increscent           *     Back up my hard drive? How do I put
and a decrescent argent.        *          it in reverse?