SC - Is the list alive?

Varju@aol.com Varju at aol.com
Thu Nov 13 06:30:09 PST 1997

On Thu, 13 Nov 1997, James and/or Nancy Gilly wrote:

> Hmm - I'm curious.  Are you being facetious?  Or is this related to the
> practice followed by some commissaries overseas, which round the bill
> up/down to the nearest .05, in order to not have to deal with pennies?

This is the standard way to handle the fact that a once usefull
subdivsion of currency is to small to be of any real life use:

	1. Stop making coins of that value.

	2. Make regulations as to how the values should be rounded to a
	"possible" value.

E.g. in Sweden we no longer have any 1 ore coins, but rather the
smallest is a 50 ore (1 krona = 100 ore). So the regulations state that
up to and including 25 ore shall be rounded downwards, and the
equivalent should be done with 51-75 ore. Actually some stores have
simply stopped posting prices in anything less than 1 krona.

This sytem is, or course, simplified by having the sales tax included
into the sticker price, something that is common outside the USA.

/UlfR

- --
Par Leijonhufvud                  par.leijonhufvud at labtek.ki.se
PGP fingerprint = 76 3B 11 28 79 39 87 C0  DC 4C 1F 4C C0 1F 1E 89
Tum pultus sicissentem ur ne lus sem ittibus profugnatreius.