SC - Fw: [Mid] Feasts

Dottie Elliott macdj at onr.com
Fri Nov 14 09:10:56 PST 1997

>>Yes, it is difficult to serve the number and variety of
>>dishes at a real medieval European feast, some of which had upwards of
>>five or six courses, each with perhaps fifteen dishes.

In my looking at menus from the times (mostly coronation and ordination
menus so far), they have had usually 3 courses with various entrements in
between and as many as 30 - 40 dishes served. However, one needs to keep
in mind that no one ate from all the dishes. There were different dishes
for different levels of society.  I don't think I have yet found any
menus with more than 3 courses.

I am looking for more sources of period menus, particularly events that
are NOT coronations!  If anyone has any menu sources I would appreciate
it greatly if you would drop me the information!  Thanks,

Clarissa