SC - OOP: mustard herring (finally!)

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Nov 14 09:51:34 PST 1997

>I personally try to do at least two dishes a course, meat dish and vegetable
>dish, just so that there is something for everyone at the feast.
> Unfortunately, my memory of feasts I've eaten at usually leans more towards
>what was served, and if I walked away feeling well fed.

I tend to do at least 4 dishes with each course depending on the event.
For the Candlemas I cooked this year, I wanted to do something closer to
the grand feasts of the coronation menus I have seen when doing research.
Therefore I did more:

Bread & Honey Butter
Savory Toasted Cheese

First Course
- ------------
Soupes Dorry
Chicken Crowned with eggs
Autre Vele en bokenade
Blaunche brawne
Armored Turnips
Bolas

Second Course
- -------------
Spiced Pork Roast with Frumentary
Pepper Sauce & Garlic Walnut Sauce
Meatballs in Saracen Sauce
Egredouncye
Caboges in potage
Apple Fritters
Honey Almond Candy

Vegetarian substitutions for meat dishes:

First Course
- -------------
Spinach Tarte
Macrows
Funges

Second Course
- -------------
Lentil balls
Fried Gourd with Garlic Sauce
Grene Pesen

The only dish that was not period was the Lentil balls. However, it was
made with only period ingredients as I was trying to use them to replace
the meatballs.  I had a total of 1/2 lb precooked meat per person and
cooked for 225.  The only dish that was controversial was the soupes
dorry (it was either liked or hated). I am working to make the soup
better, trying different wines and onions. The vegetarian dishes were all
cooked in advance and reheated in a microwave for my convenience.

Clarissa