SC - APOLOGIES!!!!!!!!!!!!

James and/or Nancy Gilly KatieMorag at worldnet.att.net
Fri Nov 14 19:49:36 PST 1997

>Date: Fri, 14 Nov 1997 12:42:22 EST
>From: melc2newton at juno.com (Michael P Newton)
>Subject: SC - Russian Inns
>
>It seems that I am now doing the inn {lunch} for our event on Jan. 31.
>(all of you are invited, by the way. If you need directions, e-mail me
>and I'll send them.) Since the theme is russian, I am thinking of having
>two different types of borscht and 2 types of savory turnovers, one meat
>and veg., and the other cheese. Because this is an inn, in other words,
>no set number of people eating lunch, I am wondering how much to make.
>We "normally" have around 200-250 people attending Winter Challenge and I
>was thinking about making "white" borscht {which is an early spring
>version using other veg. such as carrots, parsnips, and cabbage, as well
>as beets} and a "true" borscht {which is vegetarian in nature and uses
>beet Kvass, which is fermented beet juice - fermented as in sauerkraut,
>rather than wine}. I am thinking of making 45 portions of each borscht
>and probably 50 turnovers each of meat/veg. and cheese. This is my first
>time as serving an undetermined amount of people, so I'd though I'd come
>and ramble on in front of you all, and see what other suggestions pop out
>of the woodwork.
>Lady Beatrix
>Shire of Oakheart, Calontir (Springfield,Mo.)

Whenever we do a "tavern" event, we give the folks a token good for 1
serving of lunch. That's part of the event cost.  If you cook according to
the onboard numbers (our formula is: reservations plus 20 percent, unless
it's a huge kingdom event), then you know how many to cook for theweek
before. We allow folks to use their tokens for lunch, to use as cash at the
merchants (redeemable for $1.00) to play games for prizes, or to buy
mercenaries for the warlord tourney. A good time is had by all (we haven't
done that in a long time. Hmmmmmm. Time to autocrat an event). If folks use
their tokens for other things, we generously let them buy some food with
cash :).

If you only have a certain number of tokens out there, you don't need to
make any more food than you have tokens. The number of tokens is determined
by the reservations plus a few, so you know ahead of time. As a cook, I
always have extra food budgeted in, or a few special dishes, in case someone
has the serious hungries.

Hope that helps!

Aoife
To reply, you must first remove the "nonsense." from the return address.