SC - Re: Palate Cleansers

Elise Fleming alysk at ix.netcom.com
Sun Nov 16 17:13:15 PST 1997

Greetings,

Another message from the SCA-ARTS mail list that I thought some of
you might find interesting.

Stefan li Rous
RSVE60 at email.sps.mot.com
- -------------

Date: Mon, 10 Nov 1997 10:30:21 -0600
From: Wendy Robertson <wcrobert at blue.weeg.uiowa.edu>
To: sca-arts at raven.cc.ukans.edu
Subject: Re: Pumpkins?

The Four Seasons of the House of Cerruti (late 14th century, Northern
Italy) mentions "pumpkins" (that is the word used in the translation).
They are listed in the section under "summer".

Pumpkins
(Curcurbite)

If you want extra large pumpkins in the garden, take a seed from the center
of the fruit and place it in the ground with the tip facing downwards.
Take care that women do not come near because if they touch the pumpkins,
they will prevent them from growing; they should not even look at them if
it is the time of their periods.  Fresh pumpkins with green skins are the
best.  Their nourishment is cold and modest and they alleviate thirst.
However, they purge the stomach quickly so that one must counteract their
effect with salt water and mustard.  Wine kept in a scooped-out pumpkin
overnight and drunk calms the whole body.

The picture shows a man and a woman picking pumpkins.  The pumpkins are
green and shaped something like a butternut squash.  They are about as long
as the people's arms in the picture.  Six or seven pumpkins are in the full
basket.  They seem to be an indeterminate vine, growing on a trellis.  The
picture shows white blossoms on the plant and very large leaves, of a
similar shape and size to collards.

I have no idea what we would call them, but I thought this might give you
some clues.

Ailene ingen Aedain
Shire of Shadowdale, Calontir
mailto:wcrobert at blue.weeg.uiowa.edu