SC - Translating cookbooks

Gerard Heusden van StagTS1MRS at dsm-andeno.nl
Mon Nov 17 02:36:55 PST 1997

Continuing the conversation:

>In a message dated 97-11-17 00:02:21 EST, Morgana wrote:
>
><< I have never developed a taste for *dry* wines (love liqueurs, muscats,
> etc.), including the unavoidable multitudes of Cabernet Savignons, which
> taste like varyingly-acceptable versions of vinegar to me.>>
>
>How sad. :-( The complexities and flavors that roll across the tongue when
>drinking good wine are  overwhelmingly sensuous..

It may be, of course, that finding properly aged wines in these Northern
regions is tough.

>Remember though that the quickest way to ruin good food is to marry itn with
>a bad wine.

I try not, but again available stock and budget dictate this somwhat.

>I am glad that you found a Cabernet that was palatable at 5 years.
>Personally, I can't stomach a Cabernet Sauvignon that is less than 8-10
>yearsd old and 15 to 20 is far more acceptable.

Well, I should 'fess up that Viscountess Juana was of the habit of buying
two cases of Cabernet a year: one to drink while the others were aging. I
think her oldest case at the time was 6 years old. She's be into the
properly aged ones by now, as this was a few years ago.

> <<Ducking and returning to lurker mode...
>
> Morgana>>
>
>Why do that?

I duck because my tastes run to the sweet, and most people denigrate that.
I lurk mostly due to time constraints....

>I enjoy all types of wine and infinately prefer semi-dry over
>dry inless it has been well-aged and the tannins have fallen out of it. Of
>course, it is in the end dependant on the food being served or more
>specifically the sauces and spices accompanying the main ingredients. Try
>German whites and I'm sure that you will be pleased. :-)
>
>A good rule of thumb is definately whatever you're serving as wine should be
>the wine used in the cooking.

I'm afraid I don't know what a "cooking" wine is when it comes to wines I
like. Other I go by personal recommendations from friends or -- frankly --
price.

>Ras (who also appreciates fine sherries and ports and absolutely LOVES a nice
>French Sauterne served with  Rouquefort Cheese.)

Some years ago (more than 5 less than 10 without digging it out) Mistress
Nerissa de la Fontaine gave a wine-making class at a collegium in Eskalya
and the students made a clover wine. I was the eventual recipient/owner of
two bottles. I would duly taste it once a year or so. Tasted remarkably
like vinegar to begin with -- must be that tannin stuff. However, the last
time I checked it, I disbelieved how good it was getting. It's still tart,
but smooth and not very bitter anymore. I'll have to try it with a cornish
game hen recipe I use to test a wine in cooking (the best we've liked so
far has been V.Sattui's Madeira). Based on my waiting for the clover to age
properly, I'd almost consider taking up wine brewing myself.

Later,

Morgana

Morgana yr Oerfa, Baroness      *     Sharron Albert
Winter's Gate/Oertha/West       *     salbert at polarnet.com
Per saltire gules and sable,    *     Babylon 5/science fiction
in pale two mullets and         *     (astrology/tarot)
in fess an increscent           *     Back up my hard drive? How do I put
and a decrescent argent.        *          it in reverse?