SC - typo?

Robert Beaulieu robert.beaulieu at sympatico.ca
Tue Nov 18 20:49:43 PST 1997

LrdRas at aol.com wrote:

> << I once read one of the least usefull units in a app. turn of the
>  century cookbook; "take 3 cents worth of cake yeast" (paraphrased). >>
>
> Sounds like the hand-written one I have from my gram for her  (and mine)
> favorite pickles. Everything goes smoothly along and suddenly 'yil out of the
> blue it reads "add a nickle's worth of saccharin"! Excuse me? How much?
> Sadly, Gramma has passed to the Summerland and no matter how much I beg on
> All Hallow's E'en when the vail to the world's is opened for a brief time she
> always seems to be busy somewhere else. :-0  The secret is her's forever or
> until I can find out what weight  a nickles worth of saccharin was  during
> the 1920's. :-(

I have a friend who is a pharmaceutical research librarian. She might be
able to get an estimate of a nickel's worth of saccharin in the 1920's.
There are various pharmaceutical wholesale catalogues she might be ablke
to consult for the time period in question.

I recently bought a small jar of pickled herring (little guys, headless
and gutted, about three inches long) from, I think, Norway, which I
later discovered contained saccharin in lieu of part or all of the
sugar. I don't remember liking the stuff very much, though. It tasted
like saccharin.

Here's hoping they used more than a nickel's worth ;  ) !

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com