SC - Farmer's cheese - OT sorta

Debra Hense debh at microware.com
Wed Nov 19 08:43:49 PST 1997

Philip & Susan Troy wrote:
> > > I wonder if there may have been a variety of wine whose name resembles
> > > the French word, "miel", which might easily have been translated into
> > > English by a non-cooking scribe as "hony". I haven't found one, but that
> > > doesn't mean there isn't one.
> > >
> > > Adamantius
> >
> >         French is my firstlanguage and I am a wine counselor in the Société des
> > Alcools du Québec (the Quebec government run wines and liquor stores)
> > for 22 years now and I never herd of such a wine... witch (just like
> > period things) does not prove it does or did not exist, but makes it
> > unlikely when no sources mention it.
>
> Agreed. The bottom line, is, though, that we don't know. I tried to
> suggest a hypothesis that would answer the existing pieces of the
> puzzle: we have reason to believe that the meat isn't cooked in honey,
> but rather in wine of some kind. How wine becomes honey, in the sense of
> a typo or scribal error, has a limited number of likely explanations.
> You'd have to misspell "wine" pretty badly to get "honey". A
> mistranslation seemed like a pretty good explanation, and I mentioned
> the possibility of a wine with a similar name to honey as exactly that:
> a possibility. Its perceived likelihood, or the lack thereof, is
> something I didn't even bother to consider, apart from mentioning that I
> looked for such a wine name and, like you, didn't find one.
>
> Of course, it may also be that there is, or was, a wine (and possibly
> not even a French one) whose name is similar to the English word,
> "honey". Still another on our limited list of possibilities is that the
> scribe's eye accidentally wandered to another part of the page, where it
> came to rest on the word "hony", causing the scribe to copy it where it
> didn't belong.
>
> Adamantius

I'm hoping this isn't too dumb of a suggestion, but, could the reference
be to FERMENTED honey? I've made Great/Long Mead which has a very
vinegar taste for the first 2-4 years (while it mellows- it's not really
good until it's 5-10 years old), that seems to me like it would work in
that recipe...
Angelique