SC - Question-non-cooks

kat kat at kagan.com
Wed Nov 19 11:22:12 PST 1997

On Wed, 19 Nov 1997, Peters, Rise J. wrote:

> Aoife wrote:  >>A thought just occured to me---we use sites with good indoor
> facilities, due to the weather. Perhaps our budgets are simply higher due to
> local climate? Those in the warmer regions probably do more totally outdoor
> events, many of which sites can be free or very cheap.
>
> Of course, the drawback of totally outdoor events is that you may not have a
> kitchen...  after doing a couple of very nice small feasts using a grill and
> a 2-burner propane stove, my favorite local cook is now pining to do an
> event with a kitchen.  Hmph.

I know that feeling.  My first two feasts were camping events where the
on-site "kitchen" was a grill with a water point... over there.  This was
aided by three water coolers, 2 food coolers and 2 propane stoves (one
normal, one heavy duty).  Because of this, I would never do a camping
feast (ie one without a kitchen) for more than 100 people.  It's a major
hassle keeping warm things warm and cold things cold.

I am really looking forward to the feast I'm cooking in February, where I
can actually use an oven (*gasp*).

As to making reservations:  I've noticed in the Southern region of the
East Kingdom, that it depends upon the event and teh feastocrat.  Almost
all feasts have limits mainly due to the size of the hall or kitchen, and
when people know who is cooking or expect the event to run large, you had
best send a reservation in advance.  I have heard that an event in Bhakail
in Mid December is already close to selling out.

Kael