SC - paid reservations?

Dottie Elliott macdj at onr.com
Wed Nov 19 10:38:59 PST 1997

>>Here in central Ansteorra, reservations have been practically unheard of
>>until recently. When I have tried to bring up the advantages of paid
>>reservations, I have been shouted down real quick even for feasts as
>>good and as period as Baroness Clarissa's. As it is, since no money is
>>required, I think the current reservations are not much better than
>>none at all, although they do give you a very rough estimate of the
>>number who will be attending.

It was astonishing to me when I first moved to Ansteorra that they did
not have paid reservations but then I had always lived in Kingdoms that
did.  Mostly we get phone and email reservations and they are worth very
little in planning. At each of the 3 feasts I have cooked in the 3 years
I have been here there have been between 25 - 50% turnover in who
reserved and who ate the feast.  For Bryn Gwlad with a reasonable
treasury we can handle paying up front for everything and we have enough
years of data to determine a reasonable number of folks to cook for and
the number who will attend.  Our sites range from $400-$1500 in costs and
feasts are typically for 100-200 folks and cost $500-$1000.  Some events
are outdoors and some indoors.

I do not know why Ansteorra chooses to not take paid reservations. It was
difficult for me to adjust to not really knowing how many to cook for. I
think that feast prices here are elevated because of this uncertainty as
well. I typically spend no more than 60-75% of my budget based on the
data-specified number of folks because of this uncertainty. Based on my
years of cooking feasts and knowledge of food costs, I would say others
do so as well. I would hate to be the small shire I was part of in NY
here in Ansteorra. Our treasury was very limited and we depended on paid
reservations to help pay the bills.  I doubt we could have afforded to
put on an event without paid reservations.

Clarissa