SC - SC Feast n the law

Charles McCN charlesn at sunrise.srl.rmit.edu.au
Wed Nov 19 16:29:14 PST 1997

On Wed, 22 Oct 1997 10:00:44 -0800 Steve Geppert <emster at alaska.net>
writes:
>Looking for something to do with a bag of "older" apples I had on the
>counter, I stumbled on a Honey Apple recipe in my Joy of Cooking.  The
>recipe is simply honey, vinegar brought to a boil.  The apples are
>pared
>and thinly sliced and dropped into the mixture and removed when
>transparent.  As my medieval cooking library is in its birthing
>stages,
>I couldn't seem to find anything similar. Is this something that could
>be period?  It would be a great traveling dish as it can be served
>chilled or hot.  It was also a hit with my children, none left on the
>table after dinner!
>
>Thank you,
>
>Lady Clare
>(settling in for the long Alaskan winter, snow on the ground already!)

I know I'm answering an old message, but I was clearing out my inbox and
this reminded me of a couple of recipes I came across in _The Domostroi_.

Kuzmin apples. Take whole apples, not bruised, nor wormeated.Place them
on racks, one layer per rack. Pile the racks on top of one another, then
pour three measures of honey syrup over all.

Ripe Apples and quinces. Put ripe apples and quinces which are clean and
unbruised in crates inside small buckets, five quinces per apple. arrange
them with your hands. Pour four measures of honey syrup over them. When
you cover the bucket, leave space for a funnel so that air can escape as
the mixture ferments.

I have no idea if this is anywhere close to what Lady Clare was looking
for, but there it is.
Lady Beatrix of Tanet