SC - Feast budgets

Charles McCN charlesn at sunrise.srl.rmit.edu.au
Wed Nov 19 16:35:46 PST 1997

On Wed, 19 Nov 1997 09:45:57 -0600 mfgunter at tddeng00.fnts.com (Michael F.
Gunter) writes:
<snippage of Astonished Dibelief>
> But basically that's the way
>I've always done it.  We generally have a fairly good idea of how many
people
>tend to come to events and always make dishes which can be stretched.
>They are also usually served in a manner such that they aren't
individual sized. The
>way costs are figured is that we will decide that the feast will be held
for,
>say, $3 a head and then figure how many people will attend.
>
>> Sounds like a rather unsound
>> business practice to me. YOu must have enormous treasuries, to be
>able to
>> cover the cost of an event and feast without going bankrupt.

<explanion of how Guther normally does feast>

>For Steppes 12th Night I'm planning on 350-400 and I have been given a
>budget of around $1500. Now I can adjust my menu based on that budget
and those numbers.
>Texans are notorious "stop by for supper" types and reservations never
seem to work
>in my expirience.

This is similar to the way feast is paid for in Calontir... the number of
feasters is set at "x", normally at 100, the cook cooks for 100, and
people pay at the door when they pay site fee. (too many church dinner
experiences, I guess!) The group having the event gives out site tokens
and feast tokens as an attempt against eating feast with out paying for
it, but from what I can tell it still is mainly on your honor type
system.
As for funds, the cook buys the food, is repayed (before feast), the
event goes on to stardom or horrible defeat, and the cost of the feast is
conciderated as part of the event's cost, along with the cost of the
site, MoC's and MoA&S's cost, ect.

>> A thought just occured to me---we use sites with good indoor
facilities, due
>> to the weather. Perhaps our budgets are simply higher due to local
climate?
>> Those in the warmer regions probably do more totally outdoor
events,many of
>> which sites can be free or very cheap.
>
>Most of our major feasts are indoor events and outdoor feasts are not
all that
>common. Most decent campsites have some sort of hall. BOK gets it's site
for
>free so that helps, but the site fee covers renting privies, mowing the
site,
>feast, decorations, site maintainence, etc...

>From what I've seen - It really doesn't matter in Calontir.

>> Aoife--boggling at the thought of "No Advance Paid Reservations".
>
>Aw c'mon, Aoife, live on the edge a little. You've heard of "extreme
>sports"?
>Try some "extreme cookery". Wotta rush!
>
>Yers,
>
>Gunthar

I agree with Guther (Damn it, Jim! I'm a cook, not an accountant!:})
Lady Beatrix of Tanet