SC - Mock Sturgeon-Final results-long

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Mon Nov 24 07:15:27 PST 1997

Robert Beaulieu and Charles McCN wrote:

> Charles McCN wrote:
> >
> > Fact (usu fact-us, fact-um, etc) is latin, for fait (fr. = made, done)

Um, don't you mean fait (made, done) is French for the Latin fact -us,
- -um, etc.?

> > The fact bit comes into english, eg manuFACTure (lit make by hand - manu)
>
>         Agreed!!!
>         Now what about the origin of "contre"?
>
>                 Lord Robert de QuelQuePart
>
>         P. S.: I assure you that it means conter (oc or look alike).

The root contra, variations of which are found in Latin and all the
Romance languages, means "against", as in counteract, counterpoint, and,
of course, counterfeit, which last is generally used to mean
"artificial". I would suggest a literal translation of "made against",
meaning "made in lieu of".

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com