SC - Candied Ginger

Elise Fleming alysk at ix.netcom.com
Sat Nov 1 10:22:32 PST 1997

Greetings! Was it on this list or the Madrone list where someone asked
about candied ginger?  I found a few things.  There is probably more
out there but this is what came to hand quickly.

Candied ginger "should" be within period.  It is listed as one of the
"thinges necessary for a banquet" (the dessert course) by Thomas
Dawson, 1596, in _The Good Huswifes Jewell_.  I am "assuming" that this
is in candied form since the other items all have candied variations.

There is a slightly OOP recipe in _The Ladies Cabinet_, 1655.  It is
#43,  "To candy Ginger."

"Take very fair and large Ginger, and pare it, and then lay it in water
a day and a night; then take your double refined sugar, and boile it to
the height of sugar again: then when your sugar beginneth to be cold,
take your ginger, and stir it well about till your sugar is hard to the
pan; then take it out race by race, and lay it by the fire four hours,
then tak a pot and warm it, and put the Ginger in it, then tie it very
clsoe, and every second morning stir it about roundly, and it will be
rock-candied in a very short space."

In this recipe the root (race) is not sliced into thin pieces to be
candied.

Alys Katharine