SC - Russian cookbooks

rengraph at ix.netcom.com rengraph at ix.netcom.com
Mon Nov 3 07:16:47 PST 1997

Greetings from Constanza,
In answer to the question from Paul and Jillian Louis on October 30
	".............." A Gift to Young Housewives "  by Elena Molokhovets
	and published in the  1870s. It supposedly contains 4,000 recipies. I
	know that I have little hope of ever owning this book, but if there is
	a showing of it ANYWHERE please let me know.
	 Olga"
 The books by Elena Molokhovets are listed through the Library of Congress
catalog. You might try interlibrary loan through your local library, The
Library in Baton Rouge,LA has a copy of Joyce Toome's 1992 translation.
Below are 3 of the 6 mentions of the book in the LIbrary of Congress. In
addition there is a book by Anne Volokh called "The Art of Russina Cusine"
published in 1983 ISBN 0-02-038102-6 Ms. Volokh's book contains many of the
recipes from Molokhovets' book and is based upon her book. It also gives
some history of Russian cusine.

	ITEM 2 of 6.
	CALL NUMBER:TX723.3 .T66 1992
	AUTHOR: Molokhovets, Elena, b. 1831.
	TITLE:Classic Russian cooking : Elena Molokhovets' A gift to young
	housewives / translated, introduced, and annotated by Joyce Toomre.
	PUBLISHED:Bloomington : Indiana University Press, c1992.
	OTHER NAME:Toomre, Joyce Stetson.
	OTHER TITLE: Podarok molodym khoziaikam. English
	SERIES: Indiana-Michigan series in Russian and East European studies
	NOTE: Includes bibliographical references (p. 635-648) and index.
	ISBN NUMBER:0253360269 (cl : alk. paper)
	LCCN NUMBER:91-46254 r95
+++++++++++++++++++++
	ITEM 3 of 6.
	CALL NUMBER:TX723.3 .M6 1897
	AUTHOR: Molokhovets, Elena.
	TITLE: Podarok molodym khoziaikam.
	PUBLISHED:1897.
	LCCN NUMBER: 73-216241
+++++++++++++++++++
	ITEM 5 of 6.
	CALL NUMBER: TX725 .M644 1914
	AUTHOR:Molokhovets, Elena.
	TITLE:Podarok molodym khoziaikam.
	PUBLISHED: 1914.
	LCCN NUMBER: 56-50325

I hope this will help. I was able to obtain a copy of Messibugo's Libre Novo
and Banchetti through interlibrary loan, although they are in the original
Italian and I am having to translate them.

Yours in Service,
Constanza della Oriente', Southwestern Warden of the Feastcrat's Guild of
Meridies
Connie Duquenne
rengraph at ix.netcom.com