SC - Cuskys in French

L Herr-Gelatt and J R Gelatt liontamr at ptd.net
Mon Nov 3 16:07:34 PST 1997

Ras and Adamantius wrote:
>> It may settle the question for those of us who are knowledeble about ancient
>> French. It does leave those who may have expertise in other languages still
>> in the dark. How does this settle the hew/hue question specifically?
>>
>> Ras
>
>Good point. Sorry about that. Because "e pus copez les en plusurs
>parties" means, more or less, strike them into several parts, rather
>than color them in different colors.
>
>Adamantius, whose modern non-culinary French is execrable, and whose Od
>French is even worse

You did very well. The word copez is related to the modern coupez or,
literally, cut ( Middle English:hew), rather than strike, IIRC, and so it
appears the Middle English suffered when a translation was wanted. But the
french had a much more elegant language, both then and now.

FI: "Je me coupez ma tete"="I cut my own head", not "I struck off my own
head". Subtle, but important. We can't have them hacking at their ravioli
with giant swords. Unless, of course, they were florentine ravioli ;^D.

Aoife