SC - Paprika Dishes

Mike C. Baker kihe at rocketmail.com
Tue Nov 4 09:19:41 PST 1997

- ---Varju <Varju at aol.com> wrote:
> << And, if Noemi is listening, I'd also like any comments
>  from the Hungarian faction about dishes combining broth, paprika,
>  onions, and <whatever>. >>
>
> I've got several of those, but they are OOP. . .still looking
> for that period recipe with paprika in it. ;->
>
> Onions and a meet broth tend to be the basis for many
> Hungarian dishes. . . what were you looking for?

Paprika Onions. Something I loved as a child/teenager, and my mother
has since lost the recipe. <dang it>

In the version I remember, the onions are baked whole in a complete
broth bath, absorbing most of the broth in the process, and come out
semi-transparent. Paprika in broth, but in the Americanized version
my mom used most of the paprika was for color, and applied to the
top of the onions in the last 15 minutes or so of baking.

I'm cooking for one again, and can be a bit more experimental, so
paprika is once more an option. (My roomies were allergic/didn't
care for it -- trade-off is that now they get to enjoy bell pepper
more often, since that is MY major food allergy...)

Also: I seem to have missed something, being (relatively)
newly-arrived in the Cathedral. Is there some bit of documentation
that would indicate a post-period arrival date for paprika in the
Hungary region?

===
Pax ... Kihe / Adieu -- Amra / TTFN -- Mike
Kihe Blackeagle (the Dreamsinger Bard) /
(al-Sayyid) Amr ibn Majid al-Bakri al-Amra  /
Mike C. Baker: My opinions are my own -- no one else would want them!
Homepage: http://www.geocities.com/Area51/8661
Alt. e-mail: KiheBard at aol.com, MikeCBaker at aol.com