SC - Standing pottages, Mortrews, and Bacon

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Nov 5 18:39:40 PST 1997

L Herr-Gelatt and J R Gelatt wrote, vaguely in connection with standing
pottages and mortrews, I think:

> Well, they both make me want to spew. And Ragnar, that Brotchan Foltchep we
> made last Sunday was a waste of good leeks. And me an Irishwoman, too. At
> leat now I know why I hated it----it's a race memory of day-old mortrews!

I respectfully submit that if cream of leek soup, slightly thickened
with oatmeal, has anything in common with mortrews, I suggest that the
redaction of either or both needs to be re-evaluated. Or are oats being
classified as a legume, thereby invoking the Ancient Prejudice of Aoife?

> The corned beef,  cabbage with boiled bacon (no tatties), however, worked
> like a charm. Devoured instantly by the ravening hordes. Even the ones who
> "don't like corned beef".

Yon men who don't like corned beef have a lean and hungry look; such men
are dangerous. Just out of curiosity, what were you using for bacon?

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com