SC - Honey of cane

Woeller D alaric05 at erols.com
Thu Nov 6 07:42:06 PST 1997

Joe Tolbert wrote:

> Greetings:
>           A spanish speaking friend says that "honey of cane"
> is a transliteration of the spanish "Miell(sp?) de cana", which
> should be TRANSLATED as molasses or cane syrup.

Sorry to throw a wrench in, but when I used to help an elderly (105)
mexican woman cook traditional mexican food, she would make  sugar
syrup, called 'miel de canella', using heated water and sugar, which she
scraped off of these little cones of partially processed sugar (shape is
a lot like those cones of sugar Civil War Recreationists use, but the
loaf is brown and stickier, but sweet and rich, didn't taste like
molasses) bought in Mexico. She used molasses for other things, but not
this.
Angelique