Viking are cookery (was: SC - Irish period recipes??)

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Sun Nov 9 23:23:14 PST 1997

At 6:31 AM +0100 11/10/97, Par Leijonhufvud wrote:

>In addition there are mentions of food in the sagas and the Edda (e.g.
>Rigsthula, Lokesenna, Thrymskvida), but as these were written down much
>later than the Viking era their value is questionable in many cases.

I thought it was generally accepted that the Eddic poetry was from well
before the end of the Viking period. We don't have manuscripts that old, of
course, and it may not have been written down--but neither was Homer, and I
believe that is generally accepted as reasonably accurate to its date of
composition.

On the sagas, of course, there is a long scholarly dispute as to whether
they are an oral form written down long after their composition, or a
written form composed by those who wrote them down, using material from a
previous oral tradition.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/