SC - A Dozen Quail, No Bell Pepper, No Licorice/Anise

Mike C. Baker kihe at rocketmail.com
Fri Nov 14 12:59:16 PST 1997

- ---"Alderton, Philippa" <phlip at morganco.net> wrote:
> I do have a serious query. This Thanksgiving, it looks like
> I'll be stating home alone, and I thought that I'd entertain
> myself with cooking a few things that I don't normally cook
> in the everyday hurly burly.

Yeah, sometimes we do lack the physical *time* to try new things...

> I've got myself some quail, and I'd like to experiment with
> them, as well as other foods. Any suggestions, folks? I
> dislike bell peppers and black licorice flavored things,
> although I love hot peppers. I will happily accept any and
> all sugestions, whether period or not, and with a dozen quail,
> I can probably try several variants.

Hot peppers tend to overwhelm the delicate flavor of quail. I
hesitate to even use much black pepper until at the table. Quail
should be savored for themselves, not the spice mix, IMHO.

Both of the following preparation methods (not quite recipes in the
modern sense...) seem to work best for three or more quail cooked in
the same manner, although occasionally with only a brace. (The gravy
needs at least three birds-worth of drippings to be worth it.)

My maternal grandmother I remember as usually adding sage to the
spice mix in both cases; the rancher's wife I worked for one summer
(pay&board, and pen-raised "exotics" for lunch an average of once a
week) stuck with salt and pepper most of the time.

Following recipes from memory (and darn it, I had a good lunch and
this is still making me hungry!)

   Baked Quail Over (Wild) Rice
Prepare wild rice (or blend) according to package directions or
standard method, replacing half or all of liquid with chicken broth
or other poultry stock. Remove from heat before all liquid absorbed
/ while rice still a little "crunchy".

(If frozen, defrost and) Clean quail, rub well with butter, salt,
pepper, other spices to taste. Place half of rice and all liquid in
buttered baking dish, layer in the quail, arrange remainder of rice
to leave quail nested but not completely covered. Cover and bake
until done, remove cover and place under broiler about five minutes
(until upper surface of quail lightly browned/crisp). A little
powdered ginger or paprika sprinkled on each bird for color is nice.

    Fried Quail & Pan Gravy
(Thaw and) clean quail (carefully removing all shot from huntsman's
catch, if taken wild). If you are one who normally removes the skin
before frying fowl, DON'T. (If you absolutely must, dredge and fry
the skins, *then* discard. Far better to leave on the bird and allow
each individual to remove and set aside on their plate, even when
dealing with health dictates.) Take flour, salt, pepper, thyme, and
ginger; mix well to form dredge. Beat one chicken egg very lightly.
Dredge quail through egg, then flour mixture, and pan fry in hot oil.
Remove excess oil from pan, make flour&milk gravy with drippings.

Serve hot from the pan. Some even add the quail back to the gravy,
but I prefer to have the gravy over cornbread stuffing (Stovetop
will do, I'm not that picky), bread, or biscuits. YUMMMM!

> I know it sounds like a lot of food for one, but I always,
> on the few holidays I have to myself, try to cook for the
> unexpected guest. If he/she they arrive, fine, if not I have
> quality leftovers. I am interested in any suggestions from
> appetizers to desserts.
> Anyone wish to help?

With recipes or consumption, preferably both? Recipe provided,
enjoyment of victuals and company somewhat sadly beyond my means at
present. ('Sides which, my mama's cooking this year...her eldest son
is headed home for Turkey Day, with a vengeance!)

> Thanx,
> Phlip

<gryn>,
Amra

===
Pax ... Kihe / Adieu -- Amra / TTFN -- Mike
Kihe Blackeagle (the Dreamsinger Bard) /
(al-Sayyid) Amr ibn Majid al-Bakri al-Amra  /
Mike C. Baker: My opinions are my own -- no one else would want them!
Homepage: http://www.geocities.com/Area51/8661
Alt. e-mail: KiheBard at aol.com, MikeCBaker at aol.com