SC - A thought about beer

Tue Nov 18 06:38:59 PST 1997

Beer is, like most good vices, ...
>all require long and desperate exposure
>before becoming anything like palatable.

Really?  I picked up most of these vices on the first exposure.  Of
course, this may have to do with my sinuses being shot.

>If you can stomach most beers, drink Guiness if you're hungry, Newcastle
>draught if you're looking for comfort, Harp if you're feeling particularly
>Irish, and Corona (don't forget the lime) if you're eating while you
>drink.

Or mix a Guiness and Harp and have a Black and Tan, my favorite tipple
when cooking.  I also drink prodigious quantities of water to keep from
being dehydrated.

>If all else fails, inform your friends (or drinking companions, if they're
>not the same) that you adhere to medieval standards of brewing; that is,
>if you can't pour the ale on a bench, sit for half an hour in leather
>pants, and still rise easily, it is not worth your time.

Ale?  I was under the impression that the Bavarian sugar fermentation
test was for bottom fermenting beers rather than top fermenting ale.
And as for the quality of Medieval brews, see if you can get Barat
FitzWalter Reynolds' recipe for a period small beer--thin, nasty, and
bitter.

>Or you can be a snob and claim that nothing lives up to your own brewing
>standards (this requires that you start brewing before you next go
>drinking).

>;)
>Elizabeth

This is a fine way to pay back your friends.  If you are good enough,
they will make this claim (and drink you out of stock).

Bear