SC - smoked hams

Mark Harris mark_harris at risc.sps.mot.com
Fri Nov 21 13:36:09 PST 1997

Philippa Farrour asnwered my question about what a Smithfield ham was with:

A Smithfield ham is a ham made in Smithfield, Virginia. Any ham NOT made in
Smithfield, Va can only be called Smithfield style. It is smoked, dried
country ham, aged for a year before it is sold. They keep forever, and like
a fine wine or aged cheese, only get better with time. If you unwrap your
ham and discover a mold on it, all you do is scrape it off.

- -----------
Yes, sounds much better than the watery hams I usually see in the store.
That even when labeled "smoked" must still be refrigerated. These sound
great for something like Pennsic or Gulf Wars.

This does bring up a question though. Do these types of hams keep this
well after they have been opened and a portion has been sliced off? Or
are they like some cheeses where after you slice off the wax or rind,
they don't keep any better than any other cheese?

Perhaps it's time to look at the specialty shops here in town or mail order.

Stefan li Rous
RSVE60 at email.sps.mot.com