SC - Period veges

Charles McCN charlesn at sunrise.srl.rmit.edu.au
Tue Nov 25 17:54:14 PST 1997

some of the things that _ARE_ period:
Europe
Asparagus. Cucumber. Mushrooms. Toadstools (but not recommended for
serving). Carrots (but they weren't orange. They were white or purple.)
Leeks. Parsnips. Turnips (A giant Turnip in the country, My Lord). Beets.
(Did people eat beetroot?). Cabbage. Artichokes. Fennel, Rockmelon
(Cantelope), Watermelon, spinach, broad beans, Eggplant (aubergine),
rocket, cress, endive, little cauliflowers, apples, pears, hazelnuts,
cherries, grapes, apricots. And coffee. Said to have been discovered by
an arab goatherd in the 850's

But think about what's where when. bananas are now grown in Iceland, but
I don't think that was as common in 1200...

Charles ragnar (my period is medieval, 911- 1204 europe holy lands and
north africa)