SC - Puff pastry, sturgeon and mandrake

Ian van Tets IVANTETS at botzoo.uct.ac.za
Fri Nov 28 12:12:51 PST 1997

Hello again,

Lord Ras (I was really disappinted to hear about your nationality.
I was hoping your were an Abyssinian tautology - or rather your name
was - oops).  I did enjoy your redactive efforts, as did everyone
else, and hope (God willing, as they say) to use the recipe at
Twelfth Night.  The fuss about the word usage was merely surprise
that a word that I had used for so many years could be assumed to be
made up for the title of the recipe.  Please accept my deepest
apologies, and I will try not to let lexical enthusiasm overtake me
again.

Antoine - there is a recipe for Payn Puff, which I will try to post
later, in Furnivall's Early English Meals and Manners.  It's in the
footnotes somewhere.  Prima facie, it looked just like normal puff
pastry, but I will try to get it to you.

Stefan, would you be interested in a translation of Mother
Hildegarde's treatise on the use of mandrake for your notes?  It's
medicinal, not food.  Sorry I'm posting this, but I don't have your
address noted down anywhere, and you've been quiet lately.  I assume
you would prefer to mail me privately in reply, so if your machine
doesn't give addresses as I believe some don't, it's
ivantets at botzoo.uct.ac.za

That Ginestada (rosewater, rice flour, dates, almonds) recipe which
some kind gentle posted for me a while back is really yummy.  I'm
just trying to decide which is better, a thick porridgy version or
stiff enough to turn out.  Any precedents?  Further experimentation
will have to wait for a while.  My lord is tired of rosewater.

Cairistiona