SC - Mock Sturgeon-Final results-long

James and/or Nancy Gilly KatieMorag at worldnet.att.net
Sat Nov 29 10:37:58 PST 1997

At 15:28 29-11-97 +0000, you wrote:

><< Are you sure it's "hooves", not "houghs"?  Quite a difference, you
>know.... >>
>
>Actually  I am not sure it's 'hooves" and not 'houghs". And no I did not
>know, What exactly are "houghs" if they are not hooves?
>
>Ras

Per the OED:

    3.  A joint of beef, venison, etc., consisting of the part extending
from the hough (sense 1) some distance up the leg: also technically called
'leg' of beef; it corresponds to the knuckle of veal, the knuckle-end or
hock-end of a gammon of bacon, and the shank-end of a leg of mutton.

The earliest citation for this sense of the word is c 1430.  (Sense 1 is
"the joint in the hind leg of a quadruped between the tibia and the
metatarsus or cannon-bone, the angle of which points backwards; the hock.")

Or, as Adamantius said, shanks.

Alasdair mac Iain

James and/or Nancy Gilly
katiemorag at worldnet.att.net