SC - fermented murri

Mark Harris mark_harris at risc.sps.mot.com
Sat Nov 1 13:39:06 PST 1997

Elizabeth of Dendermonde posted:

Stefan asked some questions about the Andalusian recipe for stuffed eggs;

>Any idea what *murri* is?

Real murri was an ingredient made by a long process of fermentation; it has
evidently not been made since about the 14th or 15th century.  Think of it
as occupying the same position in medieval Islamic cuisine as soysauce in
modern Chinese--fermented, strongly flavored, salty flavoring liquid where
a lot is made at once, then you put a spoonful or two of it into half the
things you cook.  (Note that I am not saying it tastes like soy sauce).

Thank you for the additional info Elizabeth. It sounds like from your
wording that there are no existing recipes for real murri. Or are the
referances too vague to be used to recreate what this sauce really was
made of? Perhaps more information on this sauce would yield useful info
on recreating some of the other fermented sauces such as, I believe, a
fermented fish sauce discussed here earlier.

On a less serious note:
margali said:
>Can't abide the taste of raspberries ever since at the age of 3
>overdosing on the St Joseph's for kids raspberry aspirin...
>but it is great with the almonds and apples

Margali, I usually just take my aspirin with water. But if you think
it is great with almonds and apples, so be it.  :-)

Stefan li Rous
mark_harris at email.sps.mot.com