SC - Mustard Soup: Finis!

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Sun Nov 2 22:52:22 PST 1997

>So, this appears to be the primary source, more or less. Taillevent's
>soup is rather different, but appears to have been the inspiration for
>this original recipe. For those of you who may feel inclined to sneer at
>the liberties taken with Taillevent, I can only say that it beats the
>recipes in "Fabulous Feasts" for edible quality, at least, and in 1968
>there wasn't a heck of a lot else available for those who had no access
>to the original manuscripts.

That would be pretty close to when I started trying medieval cooking,
perhaps a year or two before. _Two Fifteenth Century Cookery Books_ was
available--it was published in 1888 and reprinted in 1964. There was also a
small book with recipes from either there or one of the similar sources,
and with illustrations by, I think, Pauline Baynes (the lady who
illustrated the Narnia books, or someone with a very similar style). And,
of course, al-Baghdadi had been translated by Arberry thirty years or so
earlier.

In any case, we now know the answer. Salaamalah's mustard soup is the
result of a modern secondary source taking extreme liberties with
Taillevent's recipe.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/