SC - Sugar Stuff!

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Nov 3 06:11:55 PST 1997

Gedney, Jeff wrote:

> This talk of cane syrup has me thinking...

<snip>

> I think that a close approximation could be reached by making a syrup from
> 3 cups white sugar, and 1 cup brown sugar, and 2 - 3 cups water.  My
> personal tastes would have me add the strained juice of 1/2 lemon for
> each 4 cups sugar(s) before boiling.

Sounds about right. It may even be that the lemon is something you like
the flavor of, after having seen and tasted it in syrups where it has
been added for another reason. Acids are sometimes added to syrups
before boiling to partially break down any complex sugar molecules that
may be present, into glucose or other "invert" sugar. This is supposed
to help keep the syrup from crytallizing.

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com