SC - Sour Cream

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Nov 3 16:40:14 PST 1997

margali wrote:

> LrdRas at aol.com wrote:
> > If you leave unhomogonized, raw milk on the counter over night the
> > cream
> > rises. The milk and cream also sour. Thus you have sour cream.
> >

> GIANT HORRENDOUS GAAAAKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
> Milk that has been pasteurized will not sour into sour cream, it gathers
> airborne microbes that are NOT lactobacillus acidoph., and they taste
> nasty. If you ask any cheesemaker, you inoculate with the correct
> bacillus and then you let it sour. Thus is made proper sour cream, it is
> essentially a variant of yoghurt.

Actually, Ras, you get cream, which will probably have soured without
the benefit of the microbes that give dairy sour cream (and I know I
used the term "dairy sour" cream specifically to make this distinction)
its distinctive flavor. In other words, you get cream that is sour, but
not sour cream.

Margali, whereever did you find that unhomogenized, raw, pasteurized
milk that rots on the counter ;  )  ?

Seriously, though, some Middle Eastern groceries sell a Lebanese cream
yogurt called Laban or labneh. Labneh just means yogurt, pretty much, so
you will have to read the ingredients to determine whether it is milk
yogurt or cream yogurt. Cream Laban is great, but not quite the same as
smetana, the Russian (I think) stuff we've come to know as sour cream. I
believe there's a different bug involved.

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com