SC - cuskynoles, continued...

Mike C. Baker kihe at rocketmail.com
Tue Nov 4 15:07:57 PST 1997

- ---Mary Morman <memorman at oldcolo.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Oct 1997, Michael Macchione wrote:
> > your dough, cut it into pieces, put a spoonful in the center
> > of each piece, and then pull the four corners together to
> > form a point, and then press the edges together. So instead
> > of an envelope or a ravioli, you get
> > something like a small pouch.
> Heretic!  Anti-christ!  Knoble-booby!
> The mighty masters are discussing the one true and unifying
> "way of the cuskynole" and you, -you!-, step in with your
> off-the-wall, unhallowed,
> and non-catechismic 'opinion'!  How do you dare...
> But on the other hand, yeah, sounds kind of like
> hammentashen to me, too.

HaHmmmm. Better sign me up for heretic school as well, although the
name *I* know for the four-corners-to-a-point-and-seal-seams style
of pastry is "runza". Primary differences: cooked meat & cabbage (or
sauerkraut) filling, yeast in the dough, not boiled, baked instead
of deepfried, start with squares instead of rectangles of dough.

Alright, so that leaves very little real similarity to the cuskynole
beyond (substance) placed in (pastry) and then cooked.

Observation: the cuskynole description indicates the dough to be
divided into roughly 6x3 inch rectangles. Presuming a second 6x3
pressed down on top and sealed on four edges, presto-chango a
roughly hand-sized meal. Presuming a fold to yield 3x3 final size,
sealed along only three edges (no need for the fourth since there
was no cut along that side of the resultant square) alakaZOT gives a
product more the size of a clenched fist -- or to fit neatly upon
the palm of an outstretched hand.

IOW, in either form, "handmeals". What I have not yet seen (or
blithely skipped over without registering) is an indication of when
and where this dish is most likely to be served / consumed. Even
which *meal* or season might give us an additional clue. With the
fruit/nut fillings, potentially a fix-ahead or even a (slightly
cheating) fast-day item?

===
Pax ... Kihe / Adieu -- Amra / TTFN -- Mike
Kihe Blackeagle (the Dreamsinger Bard) /
(al-Sayyid) Amr ibn Majid al-Bakri al-Amra  /
Mike C. Baker: My opinions are my own -- no one else would want them!
Homepage: http://www.geocities.com/Area51/8661
Alt. e-mail: KiheBard at aol.com, MikeCBaker at aol.com