SC - Mustard Soup: Finis!

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Nov 4 19:52:25 PST 1997

Kathleen M Everitt wrote:

> Ah-Ha!!! You mean I have a book that Adamantius wants and doesn't have???
> It's called Early English Recipes selected from The Harleian Ms. 279 of
> about 1430. With Wood engravings by Margaret Webb and an introduction by
> Sir Stephen Gaselee. Cambridge at the University Press 1937. That's the
> entire Title Page. And yes, the cockentrice illustration is cool, even if
> the pig is too cute to eat.

Alas, yes. It had been, essentially, community property between myself
and the young lady who introduced me to the SCA. When we went our
several ways, it went with her. Had I known, then, that it was probably
to end up in the Staten Island landfill, I would have refused to part
with it. However, I'm glad to hear that it is from Harl. MS 279, which
is the first of the two manuscripts published by Oxford University Press
and the Early English Text Society as "Two Fifteenth-Century Cookery
Books".

Still, it's a lovely little book that I miss dreadfully, sometimes.

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com