SC - Follow-Up On Knives

Mike C. Baker kihe at rocketmail.com
Wed Nov 5 14:43:23 PST 1997

- ---"Gedney, Jeff (Xton)" <Gedney at executone.com> wrote:
> on Knives:
> I have a number of knives, from a variety of mfr's. IMHO...
> on a scale of 1 (bad) to 10 (exceptional)
> rank	Knife
> 9	Sabatier 10" sandwich knife (from Bloomingdales)
> 10	Wusthof 6" (from a small cutleryshop in Madison CT called
> 	"The Cook's Place")
> 	Belgique Cutlery :
> 10	Bread knife  (I LOVE THIS ONE)
> 8	10" Chef's knife  (Handle is kinda clumsey, but Good weight)
> 9	8' cooks knife
> 8.5	6" sandwich
> 7	4" parer   (the handle is too small for my hand)
> 	(Belgique is from J.C. Penny's -- these are almost as fine as
> 	 the Wusthof - Forged, full length tang, hold a good edge,
>        etc.)
> 8.0	Chicago Cutlery 8" boning knife
> 4	American Eagle Brand 10" kitchen(Probably a wedding gift
>       from a well meaning but clueless relative)
> 6	Joyce Chen Stainless steel Chinese knife
> 8	The knives I got with my "hand hammered wok" Good carbon,
> 	tends to rust but sharpens well and holds an edge!
> I reccomend the Belgique if it is still available. a good
> knove, well constructed that has stood up to lots of use
> and abuse. Price is not too dismal, and the availability
> is good (at least that was the case 8 years
> ago, when I bought them...)
> Brandu

Having now completed my relocation to an apartment, and discovering
my favorite (long mis-laid) cooking knife, I see that it is an Ekco
Geneva (IIRC, this is a 10" Chef). (Edge was still in excellent
shape after at least three years in less-than-optimal storage,
didn't even have to touch it up.) This is the "wide-body" chef's
knife I described recently, with more depth from back to edge than
other examples I have seen distributed, particularly under
high-price names. Using Brandu's scale, I'd rate this one 7.5 to 8.

And, yes, this is a plastic and not a wooden handle -- and does not
fit my hand as well as I would like, hence a reduction in overall
rating.

I intend upon digesting and expanding upon all this recent
discussion of kitchen cutlery for an article to be submitted for the
local newsletter. Did anybody say anything they don't wish to be
quoted on, and who will want a copy?

Last part of that question is rhetorical -- I'll post a website
pointer once the article is complete and submitted... The holidays
are approaching, and a gift-giving guide might be just the thing!

===
Pax ... Kihe / Adieu -- Amra / TTFN -- Mike
Kihe Blackeagle (the Dreamsinger Bard) /
(al-Sayyid) Amr ibn Majid al-Bakri al-Amra  /
Mike C. Baker: My opinions are my own -- no one else would want them!
Homepage: http://www.geocities.com/Area51/8661
Alt. e-mail: KiheBard at aol.com, MikeCBaker at aol.com