SC - Sour Cream

Tyrca at aol.com Tyrca at aol.com
Wed Nov 5 15:13:48 PST 1997

<< Milk that has been pasteurized will not sour into sour cream, it gathers
 > airborne microbes that are NOT lactobacillus acidoph., and they taste
 > nasty. If you ask any cheesemaker, you inoculate with the correct
 > bacillus and then you let it sour. Thus is made proper sour cream, it is
 > essentially a variant of yoghurt.

Margli,
     Sorry you have had such a sad experience with fresh milk.  I remember
the summer I lived with my grandmother on her small ranch.  She had 30
chickens, 6 geese, a sow with 8 piglets, and a cow.  The cow was milked twice
a day, and the amount of milk produced quite outstripped my ability to eat
it.  Needless to say, the chickens and the pig got what I couldn't eat.
     But we never had any trouble geting the cream to sour correctly.  We
didn't inject it, we just put it on the counter in the crock, and set it go.
 Boy did we make wonderful butter.  Not out of the milk, out of the cream.
     Maybe cheese-making is different, as I know that cheese flavor is
definitely based on the bacteria.  But I have never had trouble making
delicious sour cream.
    I have not experienced clotted cream, but it doesn't seem to me that it
can be so difficult to make if you have a healthy cow that produces any sort
of high butterfat content with her milk.

Tyrca